BITCOIN MINING INTRO & RULES OF THIS SUBFORUM – READ BEFORE POSTING

Home Forums Bitcoin Talk Mining BITCOIN MINING INTRO & RULES OF THIS SUBFORUM – READ BEFORE POSTING

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    WorldCrypto
    Keymaster

1. Obey the overall rules of this forum.

2. This section is for BITCOIN MINING and related discussion ONLY. All bitcoin forks and alternate cryptocurrencies and discussion of them should be directed to a dedicated forum for those, or one of the altcoin subforums on this forum. All discussions regarding them will be moved without warning to the altcoin sections. If your topic is related to multiple currencies, then unless it is primarily about bitcoin it will be moved. Even if it is about sha256d mining but not about bitcoin it will be moved. BITCOIN mining is done today ONLY with ASICs, and any discussion of mining with CPU, GPU or FPGAs will be moved to the altcoin mining section.

3. Mining BITCOIN is done exclusively with dedicated BITCOIN mining hardware based on ASICs – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit . You CAN NOT meaningfully mine bitcoin today with CPU, GPU or even FPGAs. Bitcoin difficulty adapts to match the amount of mining done on the network and has reached levels trillions of times too high to mine meaningfully with PCs, laptops, tablets, phones, webpages, javascript, GPUs, and even generalised SHA hardware. You will not find software in this section to help you mine bitcoin in this absurdly inefficient manner in this subforum. It would cost you thousands of dollars in electricity per year to earn only a few cents in bitcoin. Even if you combined all the computers in the world, including all known supercomputer, you would not even approach 0.1% of the bitcoin hashrate today. Any discussion outside of ASIC related mining, except in the interests of academia, will be moved to the altcoin mining section. There isn’t any point attempting to mine bitcoin with CPU or GPU even in the interests of learning as it shares almost nothing with how bitcoin is mined with ASICs and will not teach you anything.

TL/DR Summary:
    – You CANNOT meaningfully mine bitcoin with your PC or laptop no matter how powerful it is.
    – You CANNOT meaningfully mine bitcoin with your tablet or phone no matter how powerful it is.
    – Mining apps for your phone or tablet that claim to mine bitcoin are almost certainly scams.
    – You CANNOT find software here to mine bitcoin with your PC by itself.
    – You MIGHT be able to do one of the above with altcoins, but such discussion goes into the altcoin mining section.
    – You CANNOT find or post software here to mine on other peoples’ PC without their permission.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.